Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ wp multi site, conditional acces

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MVES
    Participant

Here is my trouble,

I have a multi site network
    Each site of this network is dedicated to one user role.

How can i manage to allow one user role to access his site while restrict access to all others (but admin)

Cheers,

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Roles are assigned to users on per site basis. That is any user has permissions for a site A according to a role which you granted to that user at the site A.

MVES
    Participant

So i can’t manage all role at one place ?

Like on main panel, create all role, then allow access to dedicated site, disallow others

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Every subsite under WordPress multisite stores its roles separately.

It’s possible to manage all roles at one place – main site. When you go to Network admin->Users->User Role Editor, you work really with roles from the main site. “Update Network” button there allows to replicate all roles from the main site to all other subsites.

If you plan to give permission for user to selected site only you may use WP built-in UI: Network admin->Sites: select site, click ‘Edit’ link, open ‘Users’ tab, add existing or new user, grant him needed role. User will have this role at this site only.

MVES
    Participant

Isn’t it a way to allow access to one website of the network while dislowing to the others ? Like with a category or page ?

and from main admin.

because if I understand well,

I can create all roles from main admin, then sync network
    Can allow on a sub site level from role capabilities,

But then if i add a role on main website and update, it delete the role on level website right ?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

URE does not offer such way. Every subsite has own list of pages and/or categories. You can restrict access to them on per site – per page/category basis only.

Right, ‘Update Network’ overwrites all roles at subsites with exact copy from the main site. It’s intended for the case when you have identical roles at all subsites. If you plan to have different roles between subsites you should not use ‘Update Network’.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.