Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    wellnix1958
    Participant

Should we keep both versions activated when installing the pro version OR can the free version be deactivated and deleted once the Pro version is installed and activated.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

In case you have a free version of User Role Editor installed:
    Pro version includes its own copy of a free version (or the core of a User Role Editor). So you should deactivate free version and can remove it before installing of a Pro version.
    The only thing that you should remember is that both versions (free and Pro) use the same place to store their settings data.
    So if you delete free version via WordPress Plugins Delete link, plugin will delete automatically its settings data.
    You will have to configure User Role Editor Pro Settings again after that.
    Right decision in this case is to delete free version folder (user-role-editor) via FTP, not via WordPress.

wellnix1958
    Participant

So, by deleting the free version via FTP, the settings will remain in the database?

And these database settings will automatically be used in the newly installed Pro version?

I don’t want to lose my user permission settings that I already have using the free version.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Yes – in the both questions.

When I write about URE’s settings I mean only options available at the “Settings->User Role Editor” page.

Changes made to the user roles, or users permissions are not revertible. Any updates to the roles or users permissions you made with URE are permanent and do not depend from URE plugin activation/deactivation, deletion.

wellnix1958
    Participant

Don’t want to sound stupid, but I’m assuming then that all the user roles that I created will remain and show up in the pro version with the permissions still intact. And then I can create new user roles as usual with the pro version. Is it just that the ads will be removed? And I appreciate your quick replies.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I confirm that all the user roles that you created will remain and show up in the pro version with the permissions still intact. You can create then new roles as usual with Pro version. Ads will be removed. When you activate add-on, like “Admin menu access” at “Settings->User Role Editor->Additonal Modules” tab you will see at toolbar a new button (e.g. “Admin Menu”) which belongs to that add-on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.