Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums New Feature Request Role access based on page template

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    City Dev
    Participant

Managing access based solely on IDs can get cumbersome—especially when dealing with a large site with pages that don’t always have a parent (thus requiring one to enter lots of IDs into a role).

It can also become difficult to remember where updates need to be made when things get moved around (i.e. having to add a new ID to a role or user because something is no longer the child of another page and other similar situations).

It would be great to have additional options that can help control access with a broader stroke.

Ubermenu provides similar functionality for conditionally displaying menu items based on IDs. They have a number of other options, but the one that seems most applicable is the ability to control the display of menu items based on the page template—with an additional option to supply multiple template names that then form an array.

So, one would provide the template name(s) and the role would then have access to all content using those templates—rather than needing to provide (and remember to update) the role with IDs.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I like the idea with page template as the access criteria. Thanks.
    I will realize it.

City Dev
    Participant

Thanks for considering the request.

Just checking-in to see if you’re still planning to add page template as access criteria?

With larger sites that have lots of content editors, options for access control that have a broader stroke helps to simplify the process of managing roles.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thank you for this remind.
    I still plan to realize your suggestion, next month possibly.

City Dev
    Participant

Just touching base to keep this on your radar.

I realize you’re probably busy with all the other functionality you’re creating/managing.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks for the remind and especially for your patience. I really missed this topic somehow.

I confirm that I will add this feature. I will try to make it available for testing as beta version in March, 2018.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Try version 4.42 (published today).
    Page templates list is available as blocking criteria for a role just below the categories.

City Dev
    Participant

Thanks for working on this functionality.

Upon updating, I see that there is a new section under the “Post View Access” area of the user role edit screen, but nothing under the “Post Edit Access” area. Unfortunately, I’m looking to manage user edit access (not view access) based on page templates. I want to be able to be able to control what pages a user role is able to edit based on the template rather than needing to provide all the individual page IDs.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding the functionality, but it currently appears that the functionality isn’t quite what I was expecting or needing.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks for the additional information. OK. There was misunderstanding from my side here.
    I will develop this feature for post/page edit restrictions.

‘Page attributes’ section at the page editor should be unavailable for restrictions users, right? Other way user may change page template for a page and make it unavailable for him.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.