Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ Problem with application being limited

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mabarnes11
    Participant

I am running Participant Database and love the application. In an attempt to limit the users as to capabilities I have set up a role with Role Editor. The main reason was to limit the left column men items to only the database. I have copied the capabilities form the WordPress site to the new role. The problem is when I am in the application and am on a screen that shows all the entries in a list format, I have the option of clicking on a pert of the record and am taken to another screen where I can edit the record. He is my problem. When I click on the edit point I get taken not to the screen on the record to edit but another screen to edit another section of the application. The wrong screen. If I am signed in a admin, all works well. Any idea what could be the cause in the capabilities? Would the limiting of the Admin menu be the cause? The developer tells me the Editor role is all I need.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback.
    Yes, “Admin menu access” add-on would be a reason of a problem. It blocks access to all URL with main part from admin menu if they differ by arguments list. If URE sees blocked URL it redirects user to the 1st available URL.
    If you use “block not selected” model in “Admin menu” you can invert your selection for menu items and use “Block Selected” model as a workaround.

mabarnes11
    Participant

Vladimir, I tried both with selected and not selected with no change in the results. Any other suggestions?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Show me the screenshots of admin menu for the “Block Selected” variant and what link does not work.

mabarnes11
    Participant

I just tried allowing all menus and I still have the same problem. With your experience int eh capabilities of the roles could you get me a list of what would be “default” for the editor position please?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Editor role WordPress default state:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities#Editor

Does this link work for user if you deactivate “Admin menu access” add-on in URE settings?
    If ‘Yes’ then problem is not related to the user capabilities included into a role. It’s related to “Admin menu access” add-on settings for this role. So give me more details then in order I can proceed.

mabarnes11
    Participant

I just created a work around. Thanks again for all your effort.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Good! Thanks for letting me know.

One recommendation – It’s the best solution to restrict a role via user capabilities 1st. So in order to not block menu items protected by ‘edit_pages’, ‘manage_categories’, ‘edit_staff_members’, etc. revoke those unneeded user capabilities from your custom role. And then block what you don’t need with “Admin menu”.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.