Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Restrict or Permit access inside WordPress – how to Can new sidebars be blocked by default for existing users?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    roromano
    Participant

I am using WordPress, User Role Editor and a custom sidebars plugin to create a user network where each user gets a custom sidebar that appears in their posts and on their author page, and then on the backend of wp-admin they can edit their individual sidebars. I am able to give users access to Appearance and Widgets, and then I manually block their access to all other sidebars, but right now, every time I create a new sidebar for a new user, I have to go back to all the other existing users to manually restrict their access to the new sidebar that was just created.

Is there a way instead for access to new sidebars to be automatically blocked and restricted by default every time they are created? While the chances are low that users will mess with each other’s sidebars, it would be more secure, and create less of a hassle every time a new user is created. Is there a way to set it so that in order for roles to see certain sidebars, they must be selected, rather than the other way around? Essentially block new sidebars by default (except for admin of course). Thanks in advance! Sorry if this has already been asked.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Current version does not allow to realize this.

I will add to the next update the additional parameter “Blocking Model”, e.g.
    Block: () Selected () Not Selected.
    When “Not selected” choice will be made, URE will block all widgets/sidebars, which checkboxes are not turned ON, including any new items.

roromano
    Participant

Thank you, Vladimir. Do you know if that update came in the 4.55.2 update, and if so where I need to click to activate this function? Much appreciated.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I will add it to the upcoming version 4.56, end of April or begin of May, approximately.

roromano
    Participant

That’s a really quick turnaround. Thank you so much for the clarification and your prompt attention! Truly appreciated.

roromano
    Participant

Hi Vladimir. Hope all is well. I’m still having trouble with this issue in the latest update. I can see the Selected/Not Selected options under Widgets, but when you put it to Not Selected it behaves identical to Selected. I’m just going to have to shut down access to Appearance and Widgets in the meantime and do manual edits for user sidebars when they ask. When the next update comes, I’ll try the feature out again and report back. Take care.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

I confirm the issue. While I added visual changes to the permissions dialog I did not added support for them to the access restriction code. So update was not finished. That’s my fault. Just discovered that yesterday. I will make the fix available in a week.

roromano
    Participant

You’re the best! Thanks!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Test beta 1 of version 4.56.1. It’s available for from the Download page after login.

roromano
    Participant

Oh I missed this note about a beta, Vladimir! But am happy to report that 4.56.1 worked perfectly when I downloaded it from WordPress. 🙂 When I have “block not selected” on Widgets, I select the widgets and sidebars that I want the user to see when they log in, and it worked great! Thank you so much! Great feature.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback about successful testing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.