Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ activating UREPro on multisite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    lcenvs
    Participant

Greetings — I was running UREPro via network activation on our multisite, but due to apparent bugs I network-deactivated. I’m now testing v4.16 on one site of the multisite (i.e., I installed but did not network activate; only activated on this one site) and I can’t see where to enter the Pro license code. I can access role-based settings via Users > User Role Editor, but when I go to Plugins > User Role Editor Pro and click the Settings link immediately underneath (in my role as network superadmin!), I get “You attempted to access the “…” dashboard, but you do not currently have privileges on this site.” I’m not sure if this is where I’d input the Pro license code or not.

The above makes me wonder: when you use UREPro in a multisite, is it a requirement that you network-activate vs. activate on individual sites? Also, my account is Pro Personal, as I originally network-activated on the one multisite; if we activate only on sites that need it (also given apparent bugs in post linked above; we are now confirming whether these bugs still exist), do we need to upgrade to Pro Unlimited? (We are running multisite in subdirectory mode, so all sites are at ds.lclark.edu/siteNameHere.)

I have had problems receiving email copies of your replies, even with “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” enabled, but I’ll check back in this forum soon to continue this thread.

Regards,

Jim P.

lcenvs
    Participant

Ah, I’m pretty sure now that by activating UREPro on a single site on our multisite, we’re simply running URE (not Pro) functionalities. As an example, an admin on this site can no longer see admins under the Users menu, and when I went to UREPro to check Admin role privileges on that site, I can’t…I remembered Pro is needed to include Admin as an editable role.

Thanks for your clarification of options for running UREPro on a multisite.

Regards,

Jim P.

lcenvs
    Participant

Another issue for which I’d appreciate clarification: the site on which we activated UREPro was having a problem with default user role always set to Subscriber for new users, even though UREPro was network-deactivated and users were being added to that site with Author status. I suspect that, when UREPro was network activated, it somehow wrote a directive specifying default role multisite-wide as Subscriber. I’d like to purge that from the back-end tables if possible, please (assuming we can activate at the site level vs. network activate), so that other site admins can add users and select the role without it being overridden by a global setting we do not want to have.

Jim P.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I confirm the issue with URE Settings page, if plugin was activated for single site of multi-site WordPress network.
    I need to refactor code logic, something like this:
    1) Network activation: The only URE Settings page under Network Admin Settings, all settings are global for the whole network.
    2) Single sites activations: Every site has its own URE Settings page. Additionally, under Network Admin settings superadmin may input license code – one time for the whole network.

Thus current version does not allow to use Pro version as the single site activation plugin. Thanks for the help in discovering this bug.

Licenses are counted for the WordPress installations. One WordPress (including multi-site one) installation requires one license. So Personal membership is enough.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

also given apparent bugs in post linked above; we are now confirming whether these bugs still exist

Please describe bugs in details, try to answer on questions which I asked at that thread.

lcenvs
    Participant

Thanks for your replies. As noted here, edit_posts capability now works fine, possibly because we did not network-activate, or your newer version (4.16 vs. 4.14) has somehow fixed this.

Regards,

Jim P.

lcenvs
    Participant

Additionally, I’d sure appreciate being in touch on the multisite activation issue, as we would indeed like to activate UREPro on selected sites only.

Regards,

Jim P.

lcenvs
    Participant

Finally, if you have clues as to whether there is a multisite-wide default new user role in the back-end SQL tables (given that we had previously network-activated the plugin), I’d appreciate, so I can track down that problem (see here).

Thanks,

Jim P.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

edit_posts capability now works fine, possibly because we did not network-activate

Yes, it could be the result of single site activation as plugin does not get the full set of options, which it has when it is activated network wide. I need to know what the problem you met.
    For example, if you activated ‘edit restrictions’ add-on, then you need to check ‘create_posts’, ‘create_pages’ capabilities in your administrator role, in case they are not included there automatically.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

whether there is a multisite-wide default new user role in the back-end SQL tables

I do not know multi-site wide default role value for the new users. Every site has its own default role value, like

select * from wp_options where option_name='default_role';

To get this value from site 10 you need to execute:

select * from wp_10_options where option_name='default_role';

This value URE allows to modify. It does not set any multi-site network wide value, which override the value, which admin set when added new user. Value set by admin has a priority.
    Did you try to deactivate all plugins and add new user with other then subscriber role then?

lcenvs
    Participant

Thanks for your updates on the above; this seems sufficient to assist us for now. Let’s wait until you are able to develop a multisite-compatible version that allows use other than network-activate, then I will further test the above.

Regards,

Jim P.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I made Beta version 4.17.b2 available for download. Check “Beta version testing” section at the usual download page:
    https://www.role-editor.com/download-plugin/
    Short changes list could be found at readme.txt file.
    In relation to problem you discovered – this version allows single site activated instances of URE to use its own copy of the settings.

The only limitation is automatic updates. This is possible from the Network Admin. In order to check if updates available URE should be active. But network Admin “Plugins” page shows active plugins for the main blog only.

Thus, if URE is not network activated and you plan to activate it individually for the subset of sites, you should activate it for the main blog in order automatic updates from the Network Admin will be available. In order input license code to the single site activated plugin use URE Settings under Network Admin – as explained above, this page is available in case URE is active for main blog.

Thanks for the help in testing.

lcenvs
    Participant

Okay, I’ve downloaded the beta and installed on my multisite. Then I activated on the root site. Then I sent to Network Admin > Settings, and entered our license key, then clicked Save. Upon entering it, I got the following page:

Not Found

The requested URL /wp-admin/network/options-general.php was not found on this server.

When I refreshed the URE settings page, the license key was not there, so the above did not work as far as license key goes.

Then I went to the site where I had previously activated it, and it is still active (after the update). I then clicked on Settings next to the plugin for this site, and indeed did get the entire UREPro settings list there. But this includes the Multisite Options tab (again, we are on a subsite, not the root site). Is this supposed to be on all sites? I’d assume not.

So, it looks like you are making progress, but there are a few things left to figure out in the multisite environment; thanks very much for your quick attention.

Regards,

Jim P.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Bug with update link from the “Network Admin – Settings – User Role Editor” form was confirmed and fixed. Please try updated version 4.17.b3.
    When URE is activated for single site (not network wide) its settings (single site Settings – User Role Editor) are applied to that single site only, including the “Multisite” tab options. It is named “Multisite” as these options have sense for the multisite WordPress installation only. You will not see this tab at the single site WordPress installation.
    So, Yes, it is supposed to be on all sites where URE is activated.

Thanks for your help. I wait results of tests with 4.17.b3.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

In case you have installed v. 4.17.b3, version 4.17.b4 is available. I found and fixed 1 critical bug during plugin initialization.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.