Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ activating UREPro on multisite

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    lcenvs
    Participant

That’s fine; I should be able to get back to this tomorrow.

Jim P.

lcenvs
    Participant

Okay, finally got to this, and installed your .b5. License key now inputs fine on root site, and subsite where it’s activated looks good. One odd thing is that you need to deactivate it on root site before you can delete it via network admin; i.e., delete link does not appear on network admin until deactivated from root site. (Of course, I’ve only had to do this to manually update, but hopefully auto update will work now.)

Thanks for your quick development effort!

Jim P.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks to you for the help in isolating this issue and testing the update.

lcenvs
    Participant

I have discovered a possible issue. I don’t seem to be able to see nor enable UREPro when I’m site admin on one site of our multisite (vs. network superadmin). I did enable “Allow single site administrator access to User Role Editor” on the root site settings, but this doesn’t seem to do it. When I visit the site as admin I don’t see UREPro anywhere; when I visit as superadmin I see it and can activate etc. Do I also need to check “Activate access restrictions to User Role Editor for single site administrator,” then edit privileges below?

Now, there may be a reason we may ultimately restrict UREPro activation to network admins, but for now I’d like to know how site admins may activate/manage it.

Jim P.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Is “Plugins” menu item available for the single site admin at your WordPress multisite?

“Activate access restrictions to User Role Editor for single site administrator” – this add-on allows to limit single site administrator access to the user capabilities when he edits roles. It does not influences on the URE visibility at the plugins list.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

In case we activate URE for single site it reads options from the site for which it is activated, not from the primary blog.
    And ‘Yes’ I should re-test what is happend now with network wide settings from the ‘Multisite’ tab. It may stop working.

Other problem you showed to me – the “Multisite” tab of single site activated URE plugin should be available to the super-admin only. I will hide it from other administrators.

Try this hack as a quick workaround to provide single site administrators access to the URE: add this line to the wp-config.php

define('URE_ENABLE_SIMPLE_ADMIN_FOR_MULTISITE', 1);

Vladimir
    Keymaster

And ‘Yes’ I should re-test what is happend now with network wide settings from the ‘Multisite’ tab. It may stop working.

After thinking a little I went to the conclusion that there is no problem here. If plugin activated for single site, all plugin’s settings should be applied to that single site only. So if it is needed to restrict single site administrator, super admin will set needed options at the “Multisite” tab at this site. Single site admin will not see the “Multisite” tab of URE.

lcenvs
    Participant

Okay, I’ve added the above code to wp-config.php. At this point, as single site admin I can see URE under Users and under Settings, but not under Plugins. (I can see all as network admin on this single site.)

My host, WPEngine, occasionally monitors and strips code from wp-config.php, I believe, so above may not be a lasting solution.

Btw, it would be important, at least in our current scheme, for the Multisite tab to be accessed by admins and apply to the site only: the specific setting (which I know is risky) is “Enable “unfiltered_html” capability,” as certain students (who are admins of their own sites) need to embed concept map code from another provider, and this requires <object>…</object> code. If this will not be possible, then super-admin would need to be able to enable this capability to admins on selected site only.

Regards,

Jim P.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Does single site admin see other plugins under “Plugins” menu at your configuration?

There should be the way to tell WPEngine that your update to wp-config.php is legal and should not be stripped. Other way it loses the sense as you can not customize WP configuration for your own needs.

You are right about ‘Enable “unfiltered_html” capability” option. So I will just hide the other options from local admin, not the whole “Multisite” tab. Thanks.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

What role your single site administrator has? Is it “administrator” or it has some other name?

lcenvs
    Participant

To answer your questions:

• Yes, single site admin sees other *non-network activated* plugins on their site, so they can choose to (site-) activate or deactivate.
    • I can inquire with WPEngine if indeed this change needs to be maintained in wp-config.php; please confirm that I’ll need to maintain this change.
    • Thank you for preserving unfiltered_html capability within site for admins.
    • Single site admin role name has not been edited; it’s “Administrator.”

Hope this helps!

Jim P.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks for you answers.

At this point, as single site admin I can see URE under Users and under Settings, but not under Plugins.

URE is available at single site “Plugins” list (multisite) under the same condition as it’s available under “Users” and “Settings”. User should have URE’s key capability. It is ‘manage_network_plugins’ in case URE_ENABLE_SIMPLE_ADMIN_FOR_MULTISITE constant is not set or ‘administrator’ – the same as for single site, in other case.
    So I understand when you report the 1st issue, that single site admin does not see URE at all. But I don’t see the reason for the current state. Add here the fact that I can not repeat this issue at my test WP multisite, where single admin sees URE under “Plugins” of his site.

Is it possible to get FTP and superadmin access to your test WP mulitisite installation in order to try to find the reason of the problem?

lcenvs
    Participant

Pardon my delayed reply. I have a generic FTP I can provide, and for superadmin access I may need your email address. If you could email me at my Lewis & Clark address, I can provide further info.

Many thanks,

Jim P.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.