Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Bug Reports Activate content view restrictions No topics

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    SL_TriBun
    Participant

Hello everybody,
    I have the following problem:
    If I set the hook on Activate content view restrictions then none of my roles except the administrator can read a topic. All answers to the new topic, however, already. Call leg of the topic is only always the answers shown but not the actual topic. Even if I give a role all forgivable rights nothing is time only if I directly give a user the administrator role he gets the topic or the content displayed. What am I doing wrong ?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

URE Pro does not apply any restrictions to users with ‘administrator’ role. That’s why it helps.

Can you show screenshots what settings you made to restrict content view and what visible/hidden. If information is not for the public, you can send links directly to support [at-sign] role-editor.com

SL_TriBun
    Participant
    SL_TriBun
    Participant

the answer Post can the user read ! only the start topic not ! with admin role the user can read all.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

It’s the 1st time when someone tries to use “Content view restrictions” settings for the bbPress forums. Thanks for showing the issue which it raises. It seems I have to exclude bbPress’s custom post types (forum, topic, reply) from the “Content view restrictions” add-on scope.

“Content view restrictions” add-on is developed for the existing content: posts, pages, custom post types. That is for item, which is published from the back-end and authorized persons defines for it the view permissions.
    Replies/answers is sent to forum topic from front-end by ordinal users, which are not authorized to set view permissions for their posts.
    So “reply” custom post type item is published with default permissions – visible to all.

If you restricted view for topic, it’s visibility for not authorized user depends from the selected access error action:
    – topic is fully hidden from the topics list if “404” was selected,
    and
    – topic title is shown for all if “error message” was selected, even if user does not have permission to view this topic.

Restriction applies just to this topic custom post type item content (description), and does not apply to any reply/answer sent to this topic, as ‘reply’ is another custom post type created by bbPress and every item may/should have own view permissions – which may be set directly at the reply backend editor.

Sorry for the long and possibly not too clear explanation, but finally I do not recommend to use “Content view restrictions” add-on for bbPress topics and replies. It’s not suitable for this purpose.

View restrictions for bbPress forums and topics requires a special solution.

Let me know if you are interested for custom solution which would restrict view of forum and/or topic by the user role. I may write it for testing with your help as the base for the future add-on for User Role Editor Pro.

SL_TriBun
    Participant

I can not use the plugin for pages and posts as long as the error persists. Can you disable the plugin for the forum?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I thought you specially try to restrict view of the forum topic and its replies with URE Pro “Content view restrictions” add-on. Is it wrong?

While you don’t set view restrictions at the topic editor “Content View Restrictions” meta box, this forum topic visibility is not restricted by URE Pro. It’s managed by bbPress user capabilities only.

Do you have a problem with all topics or with just the selected subset?
    If the 2nd, check what option is set at “Content View Restrictions” meta box for that topic. In order URE Pro “Content View Restrictions” does not manage view of the topic you need to select “Allow->All visitors” or “Selected roles ->empty list of roles”.

Is not restricted topic visible when you turn OFF “Activate content view restrictions” checkbox at “Settings->User Role Editor->Additional Modules” tab?

SL_TriBun
    Participant

I have the Problem with all topics.

“Is not restricted topic visible when you turn OFF “Activate content view restrictions” checkbox at “Settings->User Role Editor->Additional Modules” tab?”!! YES!!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thank you for clarification. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I reproduced the issue. It’s a bug. Thanks for discovering. I will investigate it and develop the fix.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Try beta version 4.49.4.b1 which contains a fix for the described issue.
    It’s available from Downloads page after login.

SL_TriBun
    Participant

Many thanks. Now the Plugin functions great!
    It would be nice if one separate forums and forum parts for some rolls visibly or invisibly could switch. So i can use only your Plugin for all settings.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks for the help with testing and suggestion. I will realized it, with time…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.