Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Give user access to plugin – how to woocommerce appointments / user permissions

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hopin
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve recently purchased the Pro version of this plugin, on advice of the team at WooCommerce appointments (https://bizzthemes.com/plugins/woocommerce-appointments/).

I run a residential repairs company (https://www.letscando.com/), in which customers can book “appointments” for a variety of different services from plumbing to carpet fitting or gardening.

I use woocommere appointments as an appointment system, in which I have created various “products” for each service I offer. I upload my worker availabilities through the backend of the plugin/my wordpress admin, including pairing each of my workers with different products.

For example, a given worker may have the skills to do both carpet fitting (one product) as well as carpentry & joinery (another product).

Woocommerce appointments allow appointments to be booked by customers through the frontend (https://www.letscando.com/shop/), as well as the backend – i.e. logging in through the wordpress panel ..wp-admin.php.

In cases where the customer telephones or wants to book after we’ve sent a surveyor out to have a look at the job size, we book through the backend (as opposed to the customer booking themselves online).

My challenge is in the booking of appointments through the backend. I as the webmaster can book in the backend through going to …wp-admin.php and logging in using my admin details then clicking “Appointments > Add Appointment”.

The problem is I don’t want to give these admin login details to everyone (incl. telephone operators who I want booking appointments) as it provides too much power, including the ability to edit the site pages or even delete the whole site. I’d like to create users with restricted permissions.

In the ideal world, I’d like to create the following sets of login permissions which I can tag to different staff members.

I’ve been playing around with your plugin, but not familiar enough to work out whether this is possible.

To be honest..if I can get something 80% to what I’d ideally like, that would be fine. 🙂

It may be useful for you to know that in the backend, woocommere appointment provides me as an admin with 3 tabs:
    -all appointments
    -add appointment
    -calendar

User permissions #1 / this is essentially the permissions for my standard tradesperson

-can add/edit/remove appointments book appointments for any product(s) through which they are skilled to do, and for all staff avilabilites

e.g. if they have been paired in the backend with “carpet fitting” and “gardening”, they can book these services for themselves AND any other staff who can also do these skills

-can view calendar for their product(s)
    -can view all appointments for their product(s)

-can’t do anything else in the wordpress panel – edit pages, posts, upload images, new plugins, change themes etc

User permissions #2 / this is essentially the permissions for my standard tradesperson

-can add/edit/remove appointments book appointments for any product(s) through which they are skilled to do, but only for their own avilabilites

e.g. if they have been paired in the backend with “carpet fitting” and “gardening”, they can book these services for themselves BUT NOT FOR any other staff who can also do these skills

-can view calendar for their product(s)
    -can view all appointments for their product(s)

-can’t do anything else in the wordpress panel – edit pages, posts, upload images, new plugins, change themes etc

User permissions #3 / for surveyors

-can add/edit/remove appointments appointments for all products

e.g. they can book appointments for all the services my company offers – for all staff availabilities

-can view calendar for all products

-can view all appointments for all products

Thanks so much in advance!

hopin
    Participant

worst case scenario, if i could just block all those parts of my wordpress admin apart from the woocommerce appointments tabs, that would be a start 🙂

3 woocommerce appointments tabs are:
    -all appointments
    -add appointment
    -calendar

thanks again!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Let’s call it ‘quick’ not ‘worst’ scenario. To realize a quick scenario:
    1) create separate roles;
    2) include to them just capabilities which are required to access required part of WordPress;
    3) if some required capability givea access to more than 1 menu items, including some menu items which you wish to hide/block from such role, use ‘Admin menu access’ add-on of the User Role Editor Pro in order to block those menu items.

To give you more detailed answer I need to look at the “Woocommerce Appointments” plugin, check and test it with different scenarios. I need to look, what it offers itself in the part of different access for the different users. You may send a copy of this plugin to support [at-sign] role-editor.com. I guarantee that it will be used only in the development (not public) environment and for the testing purpose only.

Double think before to give somebody the ability to install new plugins. Untrusted person may install malicious code and get full access to the site via it.

hopin
    Participant

Thank you very much for the quick reply 🙂

I have created the “quick” scenario, and sent you the plugin to your support e-mail.

I’d appreciate if you’d be able to advise any further.

Thanks!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I got the plugin copy. Thanks. I will contact you as I will get a new information.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.