Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Bug Reports ure_manage_options tied to Administrator visibility

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    tanner
    Participant

It seems if I remove the ure_manage_options capability from a Role, that Role is unable to see any Administrator Users in the Users list and unable to assign anyone to the Administrator Role.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Right. I explained that URE hides ‘administrator’ role and users with ‘administrator’ role by default from any user without ‘administrator’ role at your previous topic. More – URE hides all users with administrator role from any other user with ‘administrator’ role. This protection measure does not take effect for the WordPress built-in superadmin with ID=1.

User with ‘ure_manage_options’ capability is a superadmin for User Role Editor. So admin protection does not applied for such user too.

If you wish to switch this logic off use URE’s custom filter ‘ure_supress_administrators_protection’.

add_filter('ure_supress_administrators_protection', 'switch_off_ure_administrators_protection', 10, 1);
    function switch_off_ure_administrators_protection($supress_protection) {

$supress_protection = true;

return $supress_protection;
    }

Similar topic was discussed at this thread.

tanner
    Participant

More – URE hides all users with administrator role from any other user with ‘administrator’ role.

By default, without URE, an administrator user can see all other administrator users. So why is URE blocking the view of other administrator users if they do not have ure_manage_options capability? ure_manage_options is specific to URE.

tanner
    Participant

I’ve just tried adding

add_filter('ure_supress_administrators_protection', 'switch_off_ure_administrators_protection', 10, 1);
    function switch_off_ure_administrators_protection($supress_protection) {

}

to the functions.php file for testing gbt it crashes the site.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Error messages from the server logs will be useful in this case.
    I made another test – code works without error. You can send your own functions.php to support [at-sign] role-editor.com. I will look what may be wrong with your version.

tanner
    Participant

Got this to work. It had to do with my use of is_plugin_active. Not sure why that was erroring out but opted in to using if ( defined('URE_VERSION')) instead

Vladimir
    Keymaster

OK.

wp-admin/includes/plugin.php may be not loaded at the point you tried to call is_plugin_active(), if you called it beyond function, hooked to the action.

tanner
    Participant

Not sure if you can help me here, I’ve been getting a ton of PHP warnings:

[01-Jul-2018 21:54:09 UTC] PHP Warning:  in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in .../wp-content/mu-plugins/ure-assist/ure-assist.php on line 26
    [01-Jul-2018 21:54:09 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: user in .../wp-content/mu-plugins/ure-assist/ure-assist.php on line 26
    [01-Jul-2018 21:54:09 UTC] PHP Notice:  Trying to get property of non-object in .../wp-content/mu-plugins/ure-assist/ure-assist.php on line 26

This is my MU plugin..

<?php

if ( is_admin() ) {
        add_action('plugins_loaded', 'ure_loaded');
        function ure_loaded() {

if ( defined('URE_VERSION') ) {
              global $pagenow;
              $user = wp_get_current_user();

if (!in_array('webmaster', $user->roles)){

add_filter('ure_show_additional_capabilities_section', 'ure_show_additional_capabilities_section');
                add_filter('ure_bulk_grant_roles',  'ure_show_additional_capabilities_section');

function ure_show_additional_capabilities_section($show) {
                    if (in_array('admin', $user->roles) || in_array('administrator', $user->roles)) {
                        $show = false;
                    }

return $show; 
                }

if ($pagenow == 'users.php') {
                  add_action('admin_enqueue_scripts', 'load_admin_style');
                  function load_admin_style() {
                    wp_register_style('ure-styles', plugins_url( '/css/admin.css', __FILE__ ) );
                    wp_enqueue_style('ure-styles');
                  }
                }
              } elseif (in_array('webmaster', $user->roles)) {
                add_filter('ure_supress_administrators_protection', 'remove_ure_administrator_protection', 10, 1);
                function remove_ure_administrator_protection($supress_protection) {

}

}

}
        }
    }

Any ideas?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Variable $user is not defined inside function ure_show_additional_capabilities_section().
    This version will fix the issue:

function ure_show_additional_capabilities_section($show) {
                        $user = wp_get_current_user();
                        if (in_array('admin', $user->roles) || in_array('administrator', $user->roles)) {
                            $show = false;
                        }

return $show;
                    }

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.