Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Bug Reports Some 'Admin Menu' items do not appear for Administrator role in Multisite

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pyushika
    Participant

Following Admin Menu items do not show up for Administrator role even though they are NOT blocked under Admin Menu setting by URE Pro:
    1. ‘Activity’ and ‘Groups’ by BuddyPress under Admin Menu
    2. ‘Site Notices’ by BuddyPress under ‘Users’ Admin Menue
    3. ‘Tools’ admin menu does not appear
    4. ‘Privacy’admin menu.

What can be the reason?

Thanks!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

‘Activity’ and ‘Groups’ menus are protected by ‘bp_moderate’ virtual user capability, which finally mapped to the ‘manage_options’ capability. ‘Users->Site notices’ and ‘Privacy’ menu item under ‘Settings’ are protected by the same ‘manage_options’ capability.
    Check if ‘manage_options’ was granted to your ‘administrator’ role.

If problem still exists, then deactivate all plugins. Will it help? Activate plugins back one by one to isolate the problem.

Try to change theme to WordPress 2017. Will it help?

pyushika
    Participant

Admin menu related to Privacy appeared once I selected ‘Privacy related (manage_privacy_options, export_others_personal_data, erase_others_personal_data)’ inside the ‘Additional Modules’ from network setting of URE.

‘Activity’, ‘Groups’, and ‘Site Notices’, however, did not appear even after following all of your recommendations. I have checked with only two plugins, viz., URE and BuddyPress and the default WordPress theme. But above admin menus from BuddyPress did not appear for Administrator role.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I did not take into account that you WP installation is multisite.

BuddyPress defines its main user capability (if network activated) as ‘manage_network_options’ instead of ‘manage_options’.
    It also uses directly ‘bp_moderate’ for the ‘Groups’ menu under the multisite and does not map it to the ‘manage_options’ as it makes for the single site WP.

So some BuddyPress menu items are not available for the single site simple ‘administrator’, but available for the superadmin only.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

References:
    bp-core/classes/class-bp-admin.php
    bp-core/bp-core-caps.php
    bp-groups/bp-groups-admin.php

pyushika
    Participant

Does this mean that these BuddyPress menus will be available to single site admins if I assign them capability ‘manage_network_options’ (maybe, in addition to some other capabilities)? Or this means that these menus are never available to site admins?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

‘manage_network_options’ is very critical capability in order to grant it to the single site administrators.
    I see at the BuddyPress source code comments that “BuddyPress can now be activated
    on individual sites”. BuddyPress activated for the single site (not network activated) will use single site capabilities and will be fully available to the single site admin. I suppose that this way of BuddyPress usage will be more suitable for you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.