Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Restrict or Permit access inside WordPress – how to Serious problem with user not able to edit content blocks. Settings are correct.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    heather
    Participant

Plugin: Version 4.28

At first the logins were working correctly with given access to only specific Content Blocks. But there are still weird issues with the user role. Every time they log in and attempt to edit, they are presented with a “Sorry…” message. So they log out and log back in, and then it will allow them to. Then when they save one, and click on a different content block, they will get that same error causing them to have to log out and log back in AGAIN. What’s going on? Do all other MU users have to be logged out in order for a different MU user to log in and make edits? None of the content blocks are ‘locked’.

Settings:
    User: MU
    Content Blocks:
    edit content blocks
    edit others content blocks
    edit private content blocks
    edit published content blocks

Posts Edit Access for “MU”
    Allow
    post ID: 367, 377, 922, 872, 876, 895, 911, 913, 966, 964

All of the above posts are visible but user role is experiencing unstable ability to edit/save.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Please clarify, what is ‘MU’ users? Are users have access to the same content blocks?
    Is the same user logout/login to resolve a problem or on logout and other login?

We may have a problem with an internal caching here. URE caches some data for quicker data processing.

heather
    Participant

MU is the user role. All users with MU user role have access to these same content blocks.

“Is the same user logout/login to resolve a problem or on logout and other login?”
    That is a VERY good question. I don’t know as I’m just requested to fix the problem.

So what can I do to try to resolve the issue? I’ve cleared out caching via WP Engine and the same issue occurs. I’m able to edit some but not all content blocks. The error is intermittent and doesn’t matter which content block I try to access.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks for the information. It could be a bug in URE Pro. I’m not ready to recommend/provide a solution today.
    I will try to reproduce this issue tomorrow (my local time is GMT +7) at my dev. environment and inform you about results.

heather
    Participant

Please let me know ASAP when you can look into this as this is a rather urgent issue.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Yesterday I thought by mistake that you wrote about “Content Blocks” created by “Global Content Blocks” plugin and I can simulate your situation.

Is your “Content Blocks” a custom post type? What plugin creates them? Send me a download link if it’s a free product. If it’s a paid product send .zip with a copy for testing to support [at-sign] role-editor.com email address.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Btw, ‘mu’ is too short for the role ID. You may use the role name ‘MU’, but I do not recommend to use such short string for the role ID. I saw a code (from plugin or even WordPress core) where user role was checked this way: if string with current user roles and capabilities contains a needed role ID. Imagine what it may find if it will check just for the ‘mu’ occurrence.

heather
    Participant

Well I’m using the abbreviation for the sake of this post. So that isn’t a concern.
    The Content Blocks is plugin Custom Post Widget (https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-post-widget/).

heather
    Participant

Update this morning:
    Out of the 11 posts that the user role should be able to edit, only two were able to be edited (even though all 11 are listed).

The first one I was able to make edits/save/re-edit/resave without issue.
    The second one I was able to make edits/save/re-edit and I attempted to save only to be presented with the message: Sorry, you are not allowed to edit this post.

Then when I attempted to edit any of the others, the error message appeared intermittently.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I tested with 2 users from the different browsers and did not reproduce the described issue.
    If you look this video, will you see any difference, which I should apply to repeat your actions more exactly?

Do you use any general caching plugin?
    Could you try to deactivate temporally all plugins except CPW and URE to exclude any conflict with other plugins?

heather
    Participant

There is caching on the site via their host: WP Engine, which has been ‘cleared’ and tested with the same intermittent results.

Deactivating plugins really isn’t an option considering the site is live and needs all working plugins in order to make the site fucntional. I would have to do it during off-time.

Any other possible tests to do that will not disable the functionality of the site?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

If you could repeat this at a stage/dev copy (I listened that WP Engine offers this) I’m ready to look and test the issue on-line.
    Also I will think about some debug output/logging which may help to isolate the issue.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Good news. After repeating exact settings as on your stage site I can repeat a problem at my local dev. environment. On the 1st glance, URE applies restrictions some time before “content_block” custom post type is defined so it can not check permissions on its edit correctly. I will proceed with testing and return to you with the solution.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.