Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ remove creating and publishing a post from a user

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    EAC2020
    Participant

Hi – I need a user to be able to see posts on the backend but not create or publish anything. I set them up as Subscriber, but it allows them to create and publish a post. How can i remove that capability? Thanks and your plugin has been great for us!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

In order to have access to the posts list at the back-end and view existing posts from there user should have edit_posts capability. It protects the “Posts” admin menu/
    By default edit_posts capability allows edit own posts, and create new posts by default.
    URE Pro allows to force WordPress to use the separate ‘create_posts’ capability especially to allows add new posts. Go to the “Settings->User Role Editor->Additional Modules” and turn ON the “Activate “Create” capability for posts/pages/custom post types” option under “Content edit restrictions” subtitle. Do not forget to grant this capability to the roles who should can create posts.

publish_posts allows to publish posts. So revoke it from your role.
    Revoke also (if granted) edit_others_posts, edit_published_posts, delete_posts.

EAC2020
    Participant

Thanks. I understood to a certain point, but not completely.

Go to the “Settings->User Role Editor->Additional Modules” and turn ON the “Activate “Create” capability for posts/pages/custom post types” option under “Content edit restrictions” subtitle. Do not forget to grant this capability to the roles who should can create posts.

I found the Create box in Content Edit and I clicked it and saved. I see where I can click “create posts” ability for users if I want.

publish_posts allows to publish posts. So revoke it from your role.

I don’t see where to revoke anything. Where is that option? thanks!

Revoke also (if granted) edit_others_posts, edit_published_posts, delete_posts.

EAC2020
    Participant

PS – Edit Posts and Publish Posts are grayed out so I can’t un-check them.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Under “revoke” user capability I mean turn OFF the checkbox to the left of user capability.
    If you try to edit capabilities directly for user (not for a role), take into account that you can not revoke (un-check) for a user a capability which granted to a user via role. That is why it is grayed out.

EAC2020
    Participant

Thank you. I turned off everything except READ. I wanted a user to only be able to read backend posts in order to get the post ID. But now the user can’t see anything. Is there a way for her to see the published post LIST without being able to edit it? Or see the entire list and choose published (though the first option to see only the published list is better)? She doesn’t actually need to see each post, but she could, doesn’t matter. I just need her to see the ID which shows up in the page that lists all/some of the posts.

EAC2020
    Participant

Nevermind, I’m good, thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.