Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    michelhabib
    Participant

Hello, i just got the pro version, i am trying to do the following:-
    I have a CPT – MinervaKB – a Knowledge Base with articles and topics. I enabled all content editing restrictions options in additional modules because this plugin doesnt provide its own capabilities.
    When i set posts edit access to prohibit some topics (taxonomies) – It works randomly. sometimes it hides them and sometimes it shows them, which is scary for me. I need to resolve this first, then i will have questions about giving multiple roles to a user and mixing posts edits options in each and how that works.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

It could be a caching issue. WordPress may show older data 1-2 times after you add edit restrictions to a user or role, especially when you test it (before and after changing available posts list) at the same browser. Can you repeat this in a different browsers: login at one browser as admin, and as a test user at another browser.

Edit access restrictions works for multiple roles assigned to the same user this way:
    URE takes an access model (Allow or Block) from the 1st role and add to it access conditions from other roles with the same access model only. For example: User has 3 roles. 1st role: Allow, 2nd role: Block, 3rd role: Allow. Access conditions will be applied from the 1st and 3rd roles only.

michelhabib
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I am a developer, and i tried all obvious scenarios. I am working as admin from Chrome, and working as a regular user from incognito. I keep doing refreshes and cash clearing and even reassigning roles, re-editing access, trying different users, different taxonomies, re-installing plugins, etc…

I would ask you more about multiple roles, but I really do need to get the basic feature to work. I even couldn’t get the custom taxonomies to show/edit on dashboard until i gave edit_posts and manage_categories rights to the user. That is something strange, because it all worked before while i had no single capability selected for the posts. quite strange.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I even couldn’t get the custom taxonomies to show/edit on dashboard until i gave edit_posts and manage_categories rights to the user.

It’s a bug from “Admin menu access” add-on. Thanks. I will develop a fix.

About different list of posts available to a user after you restricted him to edit a subset of posts by some criteria. Can you describe a step by step scenario in order I can repeat this?

michelhabib
    Participant

Well, I create a new installation of wordpress and added both MinervaKB and User Role Editor, and things worked fine. I figured something is wrong with my original site. I disabled all plugins except the 2 on the original site, still problem is there. I reset User roles from your settings menu, still problem is there.

I deleted all role related plugins (Members, AAM – but both were all the time deactivated) and deleted yours and reinstalled only yours. Things started to work again. I only noticed that the Posts Edit pop still showed ids of taxonomies.
    So i guess i have to start enabling things again one by one and see if anything happens. It is stability that i am looking for, and i will not install other role related plugins because i am trying to stick with User Role Editor. I will keep you posted.

michelhabib
    Participant

one more thing:

Edit access restrictions works for multiple roles assigned to the same user this way:
    URE takes an access model (Allow or Block) from the 1st role and add to it access conditions from other roles with the same access model only. For example: User has 3 roles. 1st role: Allow, 2nd role: Block, 3rd role: Allow. Access conditions will be applied from the 1st and 3rd roles only.

So in other words, i should either use allow or block, not both, right? any thoughts how the order of roles is determined? i mean, is the primary role always the first role, which will determine which access model will be used?
    One last question, does the user access model (defined at the bottom of the user profile) override role access model?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

and things worked fine.

OK.Thanks for the information.

i should either use allow or block, not both, right?

For the roles granted to the same user – Yes, quite right.
    Primary role is always the 1st. It’s a way how WordPress defines a primary role – role with index 0 in a roles array.

Yes, user access model has a priority over a primary role access model.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.