Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Bug Reports Post categories not showing up for a specific page manager

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    KC
    Participant

Hi,

Our HR team has a user that is a Specific Page Manager/Editor, they used to be able to see the categories in posts and add categories when creating posts but they can’t anymore. I looked at their roles and don’t see anything that isn’t checked that may relate to categories. I’m able to see all categories but I’m an admin.

Could I give you credentials to log in and see what the issue may be?

Thanks!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

1st, check if editing for this user is not restricted by category at user and role level both.

If that will not help, then Yes, send login credentials to support [at-sign] role-editor.com

KC
    Participant

I don’t believe they are but I’m not positive. Just sent the credentials

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I can not use a new user as got message ‘Disabled’ after try to reset password. I found the older credentials you have sent me earlier and logged-in successfully.

All users with ‘Specific Page Manager’ role (except one) has edit restrictions by categories list set at the user profile. Thus URE does not allow user to create new category and restricts a list of categories available to selection at the post editor page according to that condition from a user profile.

KC
    Participant

They used to be able to see the categories though. We need them to be able to add a new post to the “Job Posting – Faculty” or “Job Posting – Work Study” categories, how can I accomplish that?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I see a problem now.
    I created backup copy of your site files and data (except wp-uploads) and installed its copy at my local development environment. When I login as a humanresources user and open the 1st post from the list for editing, I see the list of allowed categories.
    But the same meta box shows empty categories list at the production site. I assume that some database error may take place at your installation. Can you look at the system logs for the PHP or MySQL error messages from your server? May be temporal setting of WP_DEBUG and WP_DEBUG_LOG to true may help to see the error message.

KC
    Participant

Hey Vladimir, here are the error logs I found:
    [Sun Aug 26 02:26:36.629836 2018] [:error] [pid 11490] [client 5.128.225.137:10566] KILLED QUERY (21165 characters long generated in /wp-content/plugins/user-role-editor-pro/pro/includes/classes/posts-edit-access.php:520): SELECT term_id, meta_key, meta_value FROM wp_termmeta WHERE term_id IN (3075,3073,3997,1756,1760,1754, …

[REMOVED]

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Your hosting provider WpEngine added as MU plugin the condition to kill automatically so called long queries (longer 16384 characters) having database productivity in a mind. This is a reason why a restricted user does not see categories list.

My own thought: It is quite good to kill some ineffective query if it takes too much time at the database server to fulfill it. But it’s not a good idea to measure query productivity at the client side just counting characters inside a query string.

Returning to the problem, query is so long due to Yoast prominent words. Yoast product saves them as taxonomies and currently you have 4108 taxonomy db records automatically created by Yoast. (Some times it seems to me that not SEO exists to enhance the Internet usability) but all around exists to work for SEO. It takes too much resources.)
    I will look how to exclude Yoast related taxonomies from a queries modified by URE Pro without having to list them all by ID. I found the related discussion about problem created by prominent words taxonomy for other plugin.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I uploaded updated version of /user-role-editor-pro/pro/includes/classes/posts-edit-access.php file to your site.

* Update: Edit posts/pages restrictions add-on: non-public taxonomies are not included into restricted database queries. URE will build now much shorter database queries for the sites which have a lot of such taxonomies at the database. For example sites with WP SEO Premium plugin, where ‘yst_prominent_words’ taxonomy may count thousands records at wp_terms and wp_term_taxonomy db tables.

It fixed a problem. Make own tests.

KC
    Participant

Awesome! Thank you so much!!! Everything appears to be working on my tests as well, thanks again!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.