Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rmjohn99
    Participant

Hello-

Plugin update repeatedly fails for 4.25. It is the only plugin on the site that does so.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ryan

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

General recommendations:
    1) Check if valid license key is in place: Settings -> User Role Editor -> General tab
    2) Check if file permissions at wp-content/plugins/user-role-editor-pro are correct

What error message do you see after click update link?

rmjohn99
    Participant

Hi Vladimir.

Valid license key is in place. I’m not sure what you mean by the file permissions.

User Role Failure Notice

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

OK. What if you try to update from the Update Center (Dashboard->Updates)? It shows more details about the reason of the update failure.

rmjohn99
    Participant

Here you are:

An error occurred while updating User Role Editor Pro: Could not copy file. user-role-editor-pro/pro/includes/classes/content-view-restrictions-controller.php

Thanks for working through this with me! I appreciate it!

Ryan

Vladimir
    Keymaster

It’s the most probably file permissions problem. Set the same permissions to the user-role-editor-pro folder and all its childs (subfolders) as you have already for other plugins: 755 in general.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

rmjohn99
    Participant

Hmmm. Greek to me unfortunately. Stumped as to why this is the only plugin that won’t update, which stinks since we paid for it. No permissions have been set for any plugins so it’s something specific to this one and this one only.

Guess I’ll leave the old version installed.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

According to the error message, your WordPress got a copy of the latest version of URE Pro from role-editor.com server successfully, but it (WP) can not write new files to the user-role-editor-pro folder. This problem is resolved generally by setting right folder permissions.

I may look at if you provide an admin access to WordPress and FTP access to its installation folder. If it’s applicable for you, send credentials to support [at-sign] role-editor.com

rmjohn99
    Participant

Thanks Vladimir. I wish it was that simple. It’s for our work intranet (medical practice) so I can’t give you access. I mean, I can from the WordPress side of things but you’d have to VPN into our network and that’s not going to be permitted.

If I completely remove the plugin and reinstall the newest version will this continue to be an issue? Will I be able to update the next time? And more importantly will I lose the roles I’ve already created?

Ryan

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Yes, you may update it manually. You will not lose any piece of data unless you do not click ‘Delete’ link at the “Plugins” page. If you delete current version of the plugin via WordPress you will lose the settings you made.

Steps for the safe plugin version update:
    1) Deactivate URE Pro.
    2) Delete ‘user-role-editor-pro’ folder via FTP.
    3) extract the latest version to wp-content/plugins from the Pro version .zip file you downloaded from role-editor.com
    4) activate plugin back.

I may to guess only why current permissions to URE Pro folders and files differs from others.

Do you have SSH (command line via terminal window) access to your WordPress server file system? Is it possible for you to show me the output of some commands related to the file permissions management? I mean to check the current permissions, compare them with other plugin folder and set them the same way.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.