Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums New Feature Request Option to hide instead of delete metabox for Admin role

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    City Employee
    Participant

I was trying to hide a metabox from the Administrator role for the first time. I mistook the grey X icon to the right of the metabox I was trying to hide and deleted the metabox option. There didn’t seem to be an easy way to undo the change so I ended up restoring from backup. Some suggestions:

1) Provide the same checkbox option to hide a metabox from the Admin role as for other roles. I likely wouldn’t have accidentally deleted a metabox from the list if both the hide and delete options were presented.

2) Provide a warning on metabox screen when it’s the Administrator role being updated, that deleting a metabox will be permanent.

3) Provide an option to reset all metabox settings for a role or all metabox settings globally. That would allow it to return to default if needed. This is not a high priority, but it would be nice.

Thanks for considering these enhancements!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Take into account how URE works with meta boxes. Meta box exists only at the page for which it was created. Post meta boxes exists only at the post editor page, etc. So URE remembers active meta boxes when user opens pages. So to see meta boxes list at the URE “Meta boxes” dialog you have to “show” those meta boxes to URE.

When user deactivates plugin, which have created meta boxes, those meta boxes are still shown at the URE’s list. That’s why a ‘X’ icon to the right of every meta box row is presented – to remove from URE’s list a meta box, which does not exist at WordPress anymore. It works globally for all roles at once.

1) URE does not restrict administrator role in any manner. All URE add-ons follows this rule – administrator as superuser can do and see all.
    If you need power user with less permissions than superuser, create a copy of administrator role and restrict it.

2) If you suddenly delete some meta box from URE list, it’s easy to return it back – just open the page where this meta box is shown. URE will remember this meta box again.

3) Possible has sense. But user will have to “teach” URE again after that – open pages with meta boxes, in order URE can catch and remember them.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.