Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Antenna
    Participant

I am using Pods to create some custom post types which have their own capabilities defined. Generally all users are in one of three tiers: viewers, contributors and editors.

I have a CPT called Knowledgebase which is pages-style and hierarchical. I want to be able to give a specific group of contributors the ability to edit a particular page and all subpages of that page.

I have a supplementary role for those users and they have it in addition to their contributor role. I have set up a sample user with ‘Look at roles’ under their user profile. I have given the supplementary role the category ID of the CPTs I want them to be able to edit. This isn’t working.

I’ve tried variations on this, using the post ID, using the parent post ID (using the hierarchical functionality of URE) or not using the roles at all and specifying directly in the user settings. None of these give the ability to edit the CPT.

User

Role

Vladimir
    Keymaster

You have to take into account that ‘edit restrictions’ add-on should be used in order to restrict user’s editing access which he has already, not to provide to him something which he does not have.

Thus, user should be capable to edit posts and/or pages. Generally contributor is not allowed to edit published posts and posts from other authors.
    Provide to a user permissions required to edit needed posts and/or pages. Then restrict the list of items available for editing to this user using one of the ways you listed above.

Antenna
    Participant

Essentially I give someone capabilities that allow them to edit everything then:

‘Allow’ will limit those capabilities to specific taxos/post IDs
    ‘Prohibit’ will allow them to edit everything except what is specified?

I’ve just uplifted the capabilities of the role to include edit_ edit_others create_ and publish_ but still have no edit access to the post.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Can he edit the post without restrictions added?
    What’s happening after you add “edit restrictions”?

Antenna
    Participant

Confirmed that removing all restrictions, CPTs are available to be modified (show up in wp-admin and with Edit link in front-end) as expected with permissions.

Adding restrictions back to user (allow by category), no CPTs show up at all in wp-admin and no Edit link. Can create, with category pre-selected. Can’t see/edit posts belonging to others in wp-admin.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I may look at your site on-line. If that’s applicable send administrator credentials to support [at-sign] role-editor.com and describe what user, to what post type, what categories should have edit access.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.