Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    oseebohm
    Participant

Hi there

I’m in the process of assigning roles and capabilities to selected users of my site. I want to be able to give them the ability to create/edit a news item, however there are no capabilities showing available:

– Custom Post types (16/0)
    – News (0/0)

Am i missing something?

Thanks
    Oli

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Oli,

Some custom post types are defined a way to use WordPress built-in ‘edit_posts’ capabilities set. You can check this using Admin menu access add-on. Activate add-on, then open Users->User Role Editor, select Administrator role and open ‘Admin menu’. Look what capabilities are used for News menu. I suppose that it is an ‘edit_posts’.

oseebohm
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. I’ve checked the administrator roles as you suggest, and there is still no capabilities for the WP built in news feed. Enabling post_editing / post_creation does not change the News situation.

Is there anything else I can try?
    Thank you

Vladimir
    Keymaster

WP does not have built-in ‘news’ custom post type. What plugin or theme creates ‘News’ menu at your site? I need that code copy to look at it and try to help you.

oseebohm
    Participant

Hi ya.

The plugin is SP-news-and-widget.

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: WP News and Scrolling Widgets
    Plugin URL: http://www.wponlinesupport.com/
    Text Domain: sp-news-and-widget
    Domain Path: /languages/
    Description: A simple News and three widgets(static, scrolling and with thumbs) plugin
    Version: 3.3
    Author: WP Online Support
    Author URI: http://www.wponlinesupport.com/
    Contributors: WP Online Support
    */

Do you need me to copy and paste all the code? Or will you be able to find it?

Regards

Oli

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Oli,

‘SP News and Widget’ plugin registers ‘News’ custom post type with the same user capabilities set as WP does for built-in posts. Look at this screenshot.
    So if user can edit/create posts he should have a full access for work with news too.

User Role Editor does not show capabilities for custom post type if it uses capabilities from WordPress built-in post type. That’s why you see 0 there. Capabilities are available under ‘Posts’ group in this case.

oseebohm
    Participant

Vladimir

Thank you for your help with this topic, really appreciated how quickly you act on questions, a great service!

I shall try your suggestions later today and let you know how it goes ?

Thank you

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.