Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Restrict or Permit access inside WordPress – how to Multisite + Buddypress + allow Admin to edit/delete members

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    xmginc
    Participant

Apologies in advance if this is a duplicate.

My goal is to have some type of lower tier user group than Super Admin to be able to edit and delete members in a Buddypress Multiblog enabled Multisite. We would like to have a user that can never be deleted or edited and prefer not to give super admin to all staff just to be able to edit other members.

I have tried “Allow non super administrators to create, edit, and delete users” but has not worked for me yet.

Thank you in advance for any ideas on how to do this.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

“Allow not super administrators to create, edit and delete users” option is aimed for the single site admin (user with ‘administrator’ role but without ‘Super admin’ privilege) and help to work with WordPress users. In order to manage BuddyPress members and groups at a selected single site user should have ‘manage_options’ capability. This definitely gives him an access to a lot of other staff.

You can block access to unneeded menus using “Admin menu access” add-on.

Just be accurate with “Block not selected” model there as it’s too restrictive and some functionality could by limited unintentionally. It blocks any link from left side admin menu, which is not directly selected at the menu items list. This includes the links which may differ just by parameters inside the same link.

xmginc
    Participant

Thank you Vladimir

Unfortunately I have tried many combinations including giving every option available to the custom role to see what we can do – unless we give this user super-admin access, it can’t delete or edit from the frontend.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Did you try ‘manage_network_users’ from a ‘Network’ group in addition to usual ‘%_users’ capabilities under ‘Users’ group?
    It seems that such capabilities are required to edit members under multisite in addition to general ‘bp_moderate’ which is mapped in BuddyPress to the ‘manage_options’ capability.

xmginc
    Participant

Hi Vladimir, yes, we tried giving a user every capability as a test but did not give us access to BuddyPress features. While this user type can edit a user’s WordPress portion, it does not have access to the “Extended Profile” tab or ability to delete a user from within Buddypress. The good news however is it can have access to the WordPress Network Admin area to delete a user in the backend. It does appear that Buddypress is locked down to only superadmins in a multisite configuration.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.