Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Bug Reports Limited admin User roles created, can not access admin area

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi, I have this weird problem where my admins with limited privileges can not login. It will cause a fatal error when they try to login or most commonly they will face 502 error, or it just keeps loading. However after this they can see in the front end that they have been logged in. But can not access dashboard.

If i disable user role editor pro, they are immediately able to login. If i disable the plugin and log in. After that activate the plugin they will be able to login. But the biggest problem is that after some time the accounts are not working again. However if i change the accounts to admin and login and change privileges back to limited they will be able to login. But as mentioned the accounts become unusable after a time.

This is really something i need help with. Hope you have some ideas.

PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) in public/wp-includes/load.php on line 679
    2018/03/28 13:23:13 [error] 460#460: *336 FastCGI sent in stderr: “PHP message: PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 262144 bytes) in public/wp-includes/option.php on line 34

Thanks.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

It depends from what criteria do you use when restricts admins with limited privileges.
    For example, if you block access to some posts, you can use block model and block 1000 posts by some criteria, but allow 5. Apparently much more memory is required to get those 1000 posts ID list than just 5 posts ID.
    URE caches results of db queries using WP transients, thus for some time memory consuming may be postponed.

The most simple workaround: increase available memory for logged in users with some role. Use

ini_set('memory_limit', '512M');

and wp_login action.

IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

But can you explain to me why is it working if i change their role to admin and back it starts working. But the problem comes back at some point? i do not know why?

thanks.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

URE does not apply any restrictions to the users with ‘administrator’ role. It may use older cache for such user in this cache. Data are cached by user ID without saving user role, taking into account that changing user role to administrator and back is not a situation from a real life.

IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for your answer. I totally agree with you that this situation is not from real life changing the admins and back. Is there anything to do if i have limited memory of 256 on my host?

For me it does sound also strange for that the memory is running out as i really think i am not doing anything so special with the limited admin account. But i am really not a professional as you are so i have to believe you and get some memory from somewhere?

Thanks Vladimir i really appreciate the help you are giving.

IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi, one more question. So if i would clear the server cache the accounts should stop working immediately if it is a problem with the memory.

thanks

Vladimir
    Keymaster

You can try. Login with working account, clear the cache, wait 3-5 minutes, login again. It should stop working, if I understand the situation right.

Can you provide me a copy of site database and files (without wp-content/uploads) via DropBox or similar? Use email address support [at-sign] role-editor.com
    I will monitor memory usage and look if we can optimize the restrictions criteria.

IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi, Thanks for your answer. I will try this. And try to copy the files for you. This will take some hours before i can do it. Maybe in the evening, but i will definetely do it because this is creating a huge problem for me.

ilkka

IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi, I emptied the cache and logged in, but no problems. I will let you know when i am facing the problems again. Anyways many thanks for your support in this case.

IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi Vladimir, I am back again with my problems. So the problem came back. But however it is more often that it will lead to a 502 bad gateway when they try to login.

But what we have found out that as we have a front end login which can be used to access the wp-admin also from the admin bar. Is that if the admin with some privileges log in the front end it will login smoothly, no problems. But the admin can not access dashboard. All other pages are accessible in the backend. So this is why the wp-login page will lead to an error, because dashboard does not work for some reason.

What we believe is that there is a widget that conflicts with the privileges we have given these users. So far we have not found anything. If you have any ideas how we could solve this, It will appreciated a lot.

And as told you before sometimes (but rarely) it will lead also to a memory exhaust.

So there must be a conflict that we are saying go to dashboard page and in this page there is a something that is not accessible. Would this sound possible to you?

Thanks

IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

We have done some more investigation. And it seems that this is a combination of gravity forms and user role editor. So it might be something with the settings. After we deactivate gravity forms it will start working. But this is not an option for us. So we have to think something else. We have restrictions for forms per user. It might be something in here… Any ideas?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Does 502 error take place for a user with access restrictions to Gravity Forms realized with URE Pro? Show me the screenshot of URE GF restrictions section from this user profile.

IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

This is exactly what happens. We disabled the module “Activate per form user access management for Gravity Forms”. And it started working straight away.

Here you have a picture of the restrictions given to the user.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZmBk_PEPlAuklvc7ikeNb1Oww-j59bEx/view?usp=sharing

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks for the information. Generally, URE makes nothing critical. It modifies GF dashboard widget SQL query adding to it WHERE conditions like “AND id IN (1, 2, 3)” to limit the list of forms available at this widget. This modification is not query consumable. I may just suppose that you may have some active add-ons for Gravity Forms, which may lead to the conflict.

I may just repeat my question:
    Can you provide me a copy of site database and files (without wp-content/uploads) via DropBox or similar? Use email address support [at-sign] role-editor.com
    I will monitor using my debug environment, what does really happen after user login with your site copy.

IlkkaH
    Participant

Hi, Yes you are right. I have the sticky list plugin for gravity forms. I tried disabling that only and it did not help me.

I am bit concerned of my files, as i have passwords and all sorts of data that i can not send. But i will check what can i do whit this.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.