Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ limit Categories to be selected for a Post

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    edering
    Participant

I know I can set a User to have Editor Restrictions for a Category/Taxonomy ID. I tried that. When the user create a Post (for a specific Custom Post Type), then the User’s Post has that Category pre-selected, BUT also has the ability to select and save the other Categories. And I don’t wan this User to be able to create Categories, so Manager Categories is not set for this Role. How I prevent them from choosing the other possible categories so their content does not show up on Pages we have that query Categories?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

User with ‘edit restrictions’ should see at the post editor only “allowed” categories. If you allow 1 category, only that single category should be shown at the categories list. If it does not work as I described, I’m ready to check your settings online. I will need admin privileges for that. If this is possible, send credentials to support [at-sign] role-editor.com

edering
    Participant

Please look with the Admin rights I just emailed you. I created a user (which you can create one too if you want) that was a SDoL Page Editor, and News for the other Role. And I have one Page/Post ID Allowed (but it is showing All Pages), and one Category ID (for “McCaskey Campus” in the News categories). https://www.screencast.com/t/eG2WTzPPzb When I go to News and click Add New, this is what happens – https://www.screencast.com/t/QH2I2cz6z – it preselects the one Category I had in the Allow, but it let’s me see and choose any of the others.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

You turned OFF edit restrictions for ‘news’ custom post type. This is a reason why user is not restricted edit this CPT by category you set at this user profile. As you comment/remove exclude_posts_from_edit_news_restrictions, user will still can add new news, but only to this single category and see at the news list news only with this category.

edering
    Participant

Where is it that I turned off Edit Restrictions for ‘news”? In the filter? In the code you just sent me in the other forum topic, you still have restrict_it=false. Is that right? Now when i login and test a user with SDoL Page Editor and News (with restrictions to a single category, I still see the News that has that category, but I still can add ore than one News Category, beyond the one I Allowed. in this screen, it shows the User I described above and it shows that I was able to publish to a category that I did set to be Allowed. Only McCaskey should be allowed. https://www.screencast.com/t/84YqUIGu3k8

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Yes,

$restrict_it = false;

When filter returns FALSE, URE does not apply any restrictions for this post type.
    Why do not comment/remove exclude_posts_from_edit_news_restrictions() from the filter?
    User will still can add new news, but only to this single category ‘McCaskey’ and see at the news list news only with this category.

edering
    Participant

ok, I will try that. Do I get rid of only the entire add_filter line and keep the function as is? https://www.screencast.com/t/hpt7aZDzvXd

Vladimir
    Keymaster

This function itself is not needed without filter line. So you may remove a whole part of the code: function with the filter line together.

edering
    Participant

Thanks! That did it. You are amazing. I got confused because I did something similar for the Scholarships CPT but I guess the difference is that the filter/function for Scholarships was only because I did NOT want to restrict those at all by Post/Page ID and Users that have that role ALSO have Page ID Restrictions, so that separated it. Now I get it! Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.