Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Bug Reports License Validation – cURL error connecting to update.role-editor.com port 443

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    edgewebware
    Participant

Hi,

We are not able to load the full settings page on the Pro plugin because the License Key validation fails to connect, generating the following error:

Something went wrong: cURL error 28: Failed to connect to update.role-editor.com port 443 after 5203 ms: Connection timed out

At first this was an intermittent issue but now seems to be permanent, happening on multiple sites.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Check your firewall, if 31.31.196.160 is blocked for your server. My recent test is successful – service is available from my side.

As a quick workaround you may replace line #221 of file pro/includes/classes/settings-pro.php with:

//$license_state = $license_key->validate($license_key_value);
    $license_state = array('state'=>'not available');

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Plugin will stay fully functional. It influence only on the automatic updates.

edgewebware
    Participant

As you suggested, it ended up being a firewall issue on our end. Thank you for your help!

simonemeconi
    Participant

Hello everyone, same issue here. I tried reading your post to allow IP 31.31.196.160 in wordfence. But nothing change, still have the problem.
    With the plugin query monitor i found this:
    https://update.role-editor.com
    ?action=get_metadata
    &slug=user-role-editor-pro
    &checking_for_updates=1
    &installed_version=4.63.5
    &license_key=MYLINCENSEKEY

Error: cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds

How do you resolve this?
    Thanks all.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

It would be a temporal networking issue. If this error message is stable at your site, try the same URL directly at address bar of your desktop browser. Is it available? If Yes, your site provider firewall may block update.role-editor.com
    It influences for the automatic updates only.

simonemeconi
    Participant

Hello and thanks for the response.
    Yes, I can see the json response to the address bar link.

Should I contact my Hosting provider to fix it? Because is really slow to load the pages like /update-core.php or the settings page of user role editor pro.

Thanks a lot.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

You may try, may be they will can find a workaround.
    I will also add a filter to the next update to block license checking for similar situations and off-line/intranet usage.

simonemeconi
    Participant

Hi Vladimir!

Did you have implemented the workaround with the filter?
    I still found this issue in my website. Let me know please

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi @simonemeconi,

Yes, I included it to the upcoming update 4.64.1. You may try beta version 4.64.1.b1. It’s available as development version from the same Download page.

add_filter('ure_check_updates', 'ure_check__for_updates', 10, 1 );
    function ure_check__for_updates( $check ) {
        $check = false;

return $check;
    }

rejuvent
    Participant

Hi I am trying to update the plugin and get the Curl error.
    Update failed: Download failed. cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds

I have whitelisted the IP already on Wordfence. I also use CLoudflare, does the plugin have an issue with that too?

Does it work, and retain all info, if I delete, download and update?

Thank you!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi @rejuvent,

This is would be a temporal network error. You may check if update server available directly using this URL:

https://update.role-editor.com/?action=get_metadata&slug=user-role-editor-pro

Compare the results from your desktop and the server host.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.