Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    michal.konopa
    Participant

hello,
    I need to create user role for every single user on my WordPress site. How can I do that? There are over 200 users so I dont want to do it manually. I have purchased pro version because I saw import feature there but as I can see I can import only exported DAT file. Is there any way how to do that?
    thank you
    Michal

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Michal,

Does users exist at the site and you need to assign them some role?
    Will it be the only (primary) role or you wish to add this role to one which user has already?

michal.konopa
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,
    thank you for quick reply.
    Users already exist on the site but roles dont exist there as I need unique role for every single user. Yes, it will be primary and only role for that user.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Could you give me more details what do you wish to achieve? Roles by definition are the groups of users with the same permissions set. So 200 users with unique roles, finally 200 roles is little beyond the usual permissions model. WordPress is not designed for the very large quant of roles:
    – all roles are loaded to the memory at once;
    – Roles a listed as the views at the top of users list. Imagine how the “Users” page will be looked with 200 views links at the top. With 1 user at every view such views will have no sense
    – Role selection user interface is realized as a drop-down list at the most of places including User Role Editor itself. So such controls will become unusable with 200 roles inside.

May be you need to re-design your idea and use some other WordPress feature, e.g. user metadata, etc. to differentiate users from each other?

One of potential variants: it’s possible to assign some unique capability to every user directly, not via role. It depends where do you plan to use this flag/value. Will it be really used as the part of permissions system or for some other purpose, like reporting, classification, etc.?

michal.konopa
    Participant

thank you for posted info.
    What I need to achieve is to have one unique menu item for every single user. It is intranet and all users are imported from Active Directory, I need one page per user(linked in menu) with different content.
    So basically all user roles have same level of permissions but I need to show one menu item per user. That is all. Do you have any idea how to do this? thank you

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Do you place this menu item to the front-end to just to show the page content to the linked user? Will it be allowed to user A see the content of the page from user B or access to the page view should be isolated for every page: one page – one user?

Or this is about the back-end and user will be capable to edit this single page?

michal.konopa
    Participant

this is the scenario:
    people use only front-end
    user A can see A menu item(B item is hidden)
    user B can see B menu item(A item is hidden)

these unique pages(menu items) will show user sales statistics

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I understood now.
    Taking into account a quant of users and pages, we can not effectively realize this model with User Role Editor Pro “Content View Restrictions” add-on.

In theory, you can create 200 roles, assign them to 200 users. Setup view restrictions for every page. Then assign the unique role to every page menu item with “Nav menu roles” plugin. But it’s so large routine manual work, that a special custom decision may be a quicker and easier way for some developer.

If this is the only reason, for which you bought User Role Editor Pro, just ask for refund.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.