Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ How to limit editing ability for a specific page to only a certain user

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    greenleaf
    Participant

I have 4 pages that I only want 1 user to be able to edit, but I want current and future users with the edit pages privileged to be able to edit all other pages, those created already and in the future. Is there a way to do this?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

You may use the ‘Prohibit’ value for ‘What to do’ option at the profile page of the selected user. Specify, what pages he can not edit. So such user will can edit all other pages, which are beyond of the specified criteria.

greenleaf
    Participant

The issue with that approach is that it is user-centric. So, the way I understand it, you would have to set that option for every new user in order to protect that page. That is unworkable.

What I am looking for is a page-centric approach, that much in the way the View Permissions sit on a page, you could have Edit Permissions as well, so that I could say essentially “for this page, these are the only users (or these are the only roles) that can edit this page.” Then, no matter how many new users you set up, nothing about the page edit access would change.

So at the bottom of each page along with View Access, you would also have:

Edit Access: O – Allow Edit O – Prohibit Edit
    For Users:
    O – All visitors (logged in or not)
    O – Any User Role (logged in only)
    O – Selected User Roles:
    (and add)
    O – Selected Users:

I’d be fine with only being able to specify by user or by role, but preferably either or both.

greenleaf
    Participant

Thinking more about it, you wouldn’t really need All Visitors or Any User Role, since that is determined by WP, and what we want is the ability to essentially limit the number of people who can edit the given page to a subset of people who have editing permissions as granted by WordPress. So it might look more like:

Limit Edit Access to only:
    O – Selected User Roles:_______________________
    O – Selected Users:______________________
    (these roles / users must already be assigned edit privileges)

So anyone who wanted to edit the page would need standard WP Edit privileges, but if either of the two fields above was filled out, Edit privileges for that page would be limited to only these uses or roles.

greenleaf
    Participant

And – just in case any of the above is misinterpreted – we love this plugin. Lots of features, and lightweight. Thanks for making it available.

If what I am trying to do above can’t currently be done, and it’s not too heavy a lift and you think you might want to add it, we could possibly pitch in financially to the cause.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks a lot for the good feedback and sharing your thoughts how to enhance the editing restrictions functionality. I agree with your suggestions and I will try to realize them in a month or two.

greenleaf
    Participant

Awesome! Thank you.

I don’t have a lot to offer, but if kicking in a few bucks is going to help, I’m happy to put something towards the cause.

greenleaf
    Participant

Any further thoughts on this?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Unfortunately this valuable addition is not realized yet. Will do, really.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.