Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ How to block menu items; not working

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jpweber
    Participant

Hello!

I have this (pro version) installed on a multisite network.

I’d like to remove the options to tinker with my Genesis settings, W3 Total Cache settings, UserPro settings, etc …

When I go to the sub-site, I see Admin Menu.

When I click Admin Menu, a pop-up box appears, and I finally see the plugins I want to block sub-site administrators from seeing.

But there is nothing to click; I see at the top, it says “Block”, but I cannot click anything to actually block the user.

So at the bottom of that pop-up box, where it says Update, there is nothing to update, and the user can still see the menu items that I do not want them to see.

Any guidance in this regard would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hello!

Admin menu is shown for Administrator role in readonly mode by design. Thus you can not block menu items for Administrator role.

Do you think it will be useful to allow to use this add-on for Administrator role too, in case you are a superadmin at WordPress multisite?

jpweber
    Participant

Hi Vlad.

Well, yes, for me it would be helpful to be able to block sub-site administrators from seeing some menu items (for instance, my Stripe payment terminal settings).

I attempted to create a new role in my Network Admin — “Subsite-Administrator” — but I cannot change users to that role.

The other problem is that I have a front-end only login system. So for each of my sub-sites, there is an “Administration Login” link in the footer (example: https://wollard.nationalcdp.org/wp-admin/, and the sub-site administrator clicks it).

If they’re assigned as an administrator for that sub-site, they’ll be taken to the WordPress dashboard for that sub-site only. If they are not assigned to an administrator role on that sub-site, they cannot access the dashboard.

So there are 2 Super Admins (me and my partner). We see everything. Currently, I am just designating sub-site administrators to the “Administrator” role, and I have most of the options I don’t want them to see, hidden … but there are some (like the Stripe Payment settings, Genesis custom functions, etc.) that I cannot hide.

So yes … if it’s not too much work, that would be great to allow us to block menu items from the “Administrator” role.

I can see you have put a lot of time and work into this, with the research you have put in to understand how WordPress operates. So far, I’m finding this quite valuable!

Thanks!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback and detailed explanation. I see now that it could be a valuable extension to this add-on functionality. I will contact you soon (1-2 days) with ask to test the updated version.

jpweber
    Participant

Thanks Vlad!

I’ll gladly test it for you.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please try version 4.18.b8. You may download it after login from this page:
    https://www.role-editor.com/download-plugin/

jpweber
    Participant

Hi Vlad.

Excellent! I am now able to block subsite administrators from seeing certain things (or messing up certain things).

I have tested this on my site and have found no bugs; it’s working very well.

Thanks for taking the time to make the update!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Very good news. Thanks for the help with tests.
    I hope now that I will publish Pro version 4.18 soon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.