Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    texasag
    Participant

I recently purchased this plugin and it doesn’t seem to work. From the top section under Core > Posts, for Author role type, I have certain permissions enabled. If I then navigate to anything under Custom Post Type and change the permission for that post type it affects the permissions in Core > Posts. It’s incredibly confusing as to what you are selecting because it affects something else in another node.

Please advise… :/

texasag
    Participant

To make matters worse, if you deselect something in a specific custom post type and save, it actually removes other default behavior. For example…I cloned a new Role called Coach from Author. I then went in to the Author role and deselected capabilities from a specific post type. Unbeknownst to me it actually deselected a bunch of other settings and now that role can’t even see the admin menu. :/

Vladimir
    Keymaster

About custom post type capabilities:
    Custom post type is defined with special parameter ‘capability type’. If custom post type uses the same capability type as the WordPress built-in ‘post’ does, that is ‘post’, then this custom post type is protected by the same capabilities set: edit_posts, ‘delete_posts’, ‘publish_posts’, etc.
    Any capability, like ‘edit_posts’ is granted to a role, not to a custom post type, or WordPress built-in type post. Capabilities groups to the left in a User Role Editor just shows a kind of permissions required for access to the functionality related to a group. Thus if few post types uses the same capability type you change access to all of them at once when: revoke ‘edit_post’ from a role. It does not matter which group you use to find ‘edit_posts’ and turn OFF its checkbox.

If you need manage access to all custom post types separately there is a special option at “Settings->User Role Editor”: “force custom post types use their own capabilities”.
    You have to aware that if you turn this option ON, you need to check roles if they have needed capabilities, e.g. ‘edit_attachments’, etc., as every post type will get its own capability type: post type ‘video’ – ‘edit_videos’, ‘project’: ‘edit_projects’, etc.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

author role includes these capabilities by default:
    delete_posts
    delete_published_posts
    edit_posts
    edit_published_posts
    publish_posts
    read
    upload_files

‘read’ capability (General group) allows to user access wp-admin by default. If you have active WooCommerce, it changes this WordPress default behavior. User should have one from these capabilities for access to wp-admin:
    manage_woocommerce, edit_posts, view_admin_dashboard.

This may explain why user can not access wp-admin, after you revoke ‘edit_posts’ from his role.

aolafson
    Spectator

I can’t seem to find a method of creating a new topic, but I just bought this plugin and it is not working.

I installed it with a Super-admin user, and it does not show up in the plugin list, nor in the Users -> menu

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Is it WP multisite?
    Do you write about “Network Admin->Plugins”?

aolafson
    Spectator

It is not WP multisite, and I am trying to use “User role editor pro” plugin that I just purchased. I uploaded it via Plugins -> Add new -> Upload plugin -> Choose file

It does show in my ftp plugins directory, but not in the /wp-admin/plugins.php list

It also does not show in the Users submenu

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Does your user (with superadmin privileges) has ‘administrator’ role?
    URE hides itself from other users with access to plugins list.

URE may not add menu “Users->User Role Editor” as ‘administrator’ role does not get URE’s specific permissions during plugin activation. “Deactivate/Activate back” helps usually in such rare situation.

You may make another try. Delete plugins/user-role-editor-pro folder via FTP. Open plugins list – WordPress will deactivate unexisted plugin automatically. Then try to install and activate URE Pro again.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I forgot to mention that URE grants its own user capabilities (started from ‘ure_’) automatically to the ‘administrator’ role only. It’s happened on plugin activation. If user has another role, then ‘ure_’ capabilities should be granted to that role before it will see URE in admin menu.

aolafson
    Spectator

I found the admin user did have access.

It would be helpful if your plugin did not hide itself completely from the super-admin users, and provided at least a link and a statement on the Users -> User Role Editor menu and plugins.php page

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.