Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Bug Reports Default role settings for new sites

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    albiurs
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

I’m not sure if this is a bug or if I missed something. But if I set the user roles in…
    Network Admin > Users > User Role Editor
    …I would expect these settings to be applied to any sub-site in the WordPress WPMU Network. However, at least the “Admin Menu” settings are not applied to newly created sub-sites in the network. How can I set network wide default role settings which are always applied to all sub-sites (including newly created sub-sites)?

Thanks,
    Urs

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Urs,

Currently URE copies to a new created subsite only the roles from the main site. Settings made for the main site via add-ons are not copied to new sub-site automatically.

It seems as a missed feature. Thanks for pointing me on this.

albiurs
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for your reply! As I’m building a multisite with the option to self-sign-up for a sub-site, it’s very important to have the full control over the sub-site admin’s capabilities. E.g. I have the security plugin BPS Pro installed, which provides security admin options on the sub-sites which are very important to hide from single site admins! So, could you please implement the copying of main site URE “Admin Menu” settings to newly registered sites, so I can hide these? This would be absolutely great!

Thanks!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Urs,

This feature is worth to be realized. I will do it with one of the next updates.

albiurs
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

Thanks so much, this is excellent news! Related to this topic about sub-site user roles, I just had an additional suggestions which came to my mind:
    Some plugins (e.g. LiteSpeed Cache or Imsanity) have an option in the network settings which allow to switch between individual settings configured within each sub-site or to disable the individual settings and use global setting for the whole WPMU network. I think a switch in “Network Admin > Settings > User Role Editor” would be a very good addition for the URE Pro!

Thanks for your amazing plugin!

Best wishes,

albiurs
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

Just wondering if this feature got already implemented into the latest version 4.44? If yes, how can I use it? Will you release a How-To?

Thanks,
    Urs

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Urs,

This feature is not realized yet.

wp.network
    Participant

+1 for this feature!

fyi, beyond your cool plugin and evidently great support, seeing that you are developing this feature (and other features to help network operators like me) helped me decide to purchase a license!

also, fwiw, I use wp-multi-network to run multiple networks from one WP and I’m hoping that the URE network features behave nicely for me (eg. meaning each time URE is network activated it will save its settings/values separately per network)… will test and see 🙂

Cheers, Max

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Max,

URE works with the single (current) network at this point of time. When URE is network activated its settings are saved for the main site of the current network.

Let me know if you will find any issue during your milti-network tests.

albiurs
    Participant

Yes, I agree. The URE Pro support is really excellent, thanks Vladimir! I look forward to the network wide default rules…

albiurs
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

Thank you very much for the new 4.45 update! As I saw, the “copy module settings” is now integrated into URE Pro for newly registered sub-sites. However, I didn’t get how to activate it. Actually, I expected the “Apply to All Sites”-checkbox on the main site to be extended by this feature. Is it supposed to add the code at https://www.role-editor.com/documentation/hooks/ure_addons_to_copy_for_new_blog/ to the functions.php in the child theme or to add an mu-plugin?

Thanks!
    Urs

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Urs,

Yes, I assume that you will configure this add-on via custom code (functions.php or MU plugin) at this stage. I will add a user interface to this part later.

albiurs
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

Ok, thanks. So I will implement it into the functions.php for now, until you will release the integration into the user interface.

What would be very important from my perspective is, to have the option to also synchronize the main site’s module settings to all the sub-sites (in addition to newly registered sites), so, actually an extension of the current “Apply to All Sites”-checkbox. This is very important to have consistent settings all over the whole multisite network. On large multisite networks, the consistency, and therefore also the security, becomes a big issue, if the settings have to be manually copied over to loads of sub-sites. Do you plan to implement this extension too?

Thanks!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Urs,

“Network Admin->Users->User Role Editor->Update Network” makes exactly this:
    1) replicate roles from main site to all subsites;
    2) replicate selected add-ons data to all subsites.

albiurs
    Participant

Hey Vladimir,

Whow this is absolutely great, thank you very much! This feature is even better then having birthday twice and it will save me a ton of time!!! :-)))

Best wishes,
    Urs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.