Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    birminghamcity
    Participant

I have a user role that is basically a clone of the Administrator user, but without access to plugins and some settings.

Users within this group can see all pages to edit, except the Home page. If I specifically allow them to edit that page, they can see only that page.

Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing that would allow users in this group to edit the home page?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Static page selected as a “Home page” is available for editing by default to any user with edit_pages, edit_others_pages, edit_published_pages capabilities.
    Did you set any additional edit restrictions for this role or user with this role?

birminghamcity
    Participant

Do I need to add these as additional capabilities on top of the custom role I have created? The role I created and applied to that user has all of those capabilities included.

birminghamcity
    Participant

Here is a screen shot of the core permissions for the role I have created:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAEfGT65iSdAiKZbQ6AJt8BXPELCkC1nXt8

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I see your role has all capabilities from ‘posts’ and ‘pages’ groups. It’s enough to edit any post or page, in general. You need to check if your role or/and user does not have any additional restriction, may be set accidentally or by other plugin.
    1) try to deactivate User Role Editor and re-test;
    2) try to deactivate all plugins and re-test.
    In case if restriction was added by some plugin, activate plugins back one by one and make another test in order to isolate a reason.

birminghamcity
    Participant

Ok, I have tried the following:

1. Deactivated and reactivated User Role Editor Pro plugin and re-tested.
    2. Deactivated ALL plugins and only activated URE Pro.

Both instances still caused these users to be able to edit all pages EXCEPT home page.

As a side note, if I have URE Pro installed and activated, do I need to have the free version of URE activated?

Users are set to this “CityAdmin” with all capabilities mentioned above. Under Posts/Pages/Custom Post Types Editor Restrictions, I have “Look At Roles” selected.

I have tried adding Editor as an additional role, but that still does not give access to the home page.

If I add the home page id to the “with post ID (comma separated)” field, the it restricts the list of editable pages to ONLY that page.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Is it possible to look at your site with admin privileges? If ‘Yes’, send login credentials to support [at-sign] role-editor.com

URE Pro is built on the top of a free version (uses free version as the core) and includes full free version copy. So there is no need to activate free and Pro versions together. Every version has built-in control and checks if other copy of URE is running already before its activation.

birminghamcity
    Participant

I have created a user account for you. Let me know if you did not receive the email for it.

The site url is http://www.birminghamal.gov

birminghamcity
    Participant

Sorry, I accidentally posted on the wrong thread. Have you had a chance to investigate this further? We have resorted to a “hack” where we created a second user account with only access to the homepage. This is not ideal. Any updates?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Sorry for delay with response. I tried at May, 25th, but can not access your site with this error message: “www.birminghamal.gov’s server DNS address could not be found”.
    I thought to try later and missed this question out somehow. So thank for the remind.

Today I can not access this site too with the same error message though.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Home page was hidden from all users except the selected group by custom code included into the active theme functions.php file.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.