Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ Change manage option capability

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    marketingasb
    Participant

HI Vladimir,

I have a question currently I am using a table generator plugin, I want to allow users with the editor role to view this plugin menu on wp-admin.

I understand manage_options capability ONLY Allows certain role to edit this plugin menu

Hence, this is what I did on the plugin code .

class WPTG_Table_Generator {
    public function __construct() {
    $this -> add_roles_on_plugin_activation();
    }

public function add_roles_on_plugin_activation() {
    add_role(‘editor’, ‘Editor’, array( ‘read’ => true, ‘edit_posts’
    => true ));
    }
    }

Plugin’s index.php

require_once plugin_dir_path( __FILE__ ) . ‘inc/class-wptg-table-generator.php’;

function wptg_run_table_generator() {
    $plugin_instance = new WPTG_Table_Generator(‘1.3.0’);
    register_activation_hook( __FILE__, array($plugin_instance, ‘initialize’));
    register_uninstall_hook( __FILE__, array(‘WPTG_Table_Generator’, ‘rollback’) );
    }
    I still cant get it to work.

This is what I am suppose to see. http://prntscr.com/mw8kue

However, I can’t see it when I access wp admin as an editor.

Please do advise me, thank you.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

Share this TG plugin copy with support [at-sign] role-editor.com
    I will look at its code to answer you, what is possible to do.

2nd, alternative way, is to grant ‘manage_options’ to editor role, but use Admin menu access add-on to block admin menu items (like ‘Settings’, etc.), which are not needed to ‘editor’ role.

marketingasb
    Participant

HI Vladimir,

I don’t quite get you.

How do I grant manage_option this capability?

“Share this TG plugin copy with support [at-sign] role-editor.com”

And I don’t understand what does this mean? You mean you want me to share the source code of the plugin is it?

Thank you.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

You can go to “Users->User Role Editor”, select “editor” role and turn ON the “manage_options” checkbox for it. Yes, editor role will get access to the many menu items, including “Settings”. But you can block other menu items with “Admin menu access” add-on.

Yes, I meant that you can share .zip of TG plugin source code with me via DropBox or similar service. I use such code for the investigation purpose and install locally only.

marketingasb
    Participant

Hi Vladimir ,

Thanks for the Reply.

I think I found a solution. As long as add_menu_page has a manage_options parameter, we can go for each individual user role and tick on manage_options and that particular role will be added inside manage_options.

Is that correct?

Thank you.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

More correct to say:
    “role with ‘manage_options’ capability granted will get access to any admin menu item protected by ‘manage_options’ capability. Be careful, as ‘manage_options’ allows access to some critical menu items like “Settings”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.