Tagged: , ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    briz_dad
    Participant

Hello Support,

I just purchased and activated your plugin “User Role Editor Pro”.

I am attempting to give access to a plugin installed; “WitFTP“. This is for the “Shop Manager” user role that comes with WooCommerce.

I’ve done the steps in your documentation.
    The plugin appears in the Plugins List – but it isn’t appearing in the Admin Menu Bar (left column) for the user to actually use.

Here are screenshots to help.

This is a screenshot from the ADMIN user – you can see the plugin in the Admin Menu and in the list.
    ADMIN screenshot

This is a screenshot from the SHOP MANAGER user – the plugin isn’t available in the Admin Menu (left column), but it is showing up in the plugins list. This, however, doesn’t give the role actual use of the plugin.
    SHOP MANAGER screenshot

Can you help get this working properly so a Shop Manager user can use the plugin?

Thank you,
    Greg Wilker

P.S. Also, you can see Backup Buddy in the ADMIN menu (left column) for SHOP MANAGER. I don’t have that checked in the plugins pull-down menu for this user. gw

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Greg,

Permission to activate plugin does not give to a user a permission to use it.
    If ‘activate/deactivate’ plugin is not critical function for your shop manager (you may activate those plugins once as administrator) you may do not give him ‘activate_plugins’ capability at all.

WitFTP protectes its menu item by ‘manage_options’ user capability.

You may use ‘Admin menu access’ add-on
    https://www.role-editor.com/block-admin-menu-items
    in order to block extra menu items which will become available to editor tole after you add to it the ‘manage_options’ capability.

It seems that shop manager has enough permissions to access BackupBuddy. I don’t have it on hands to check what capabilities it requires. I may check that if you send plugin copy to support email. I use such plugins for testing purpose and locally only.

briz_dad
    Participant

Hello Vladimir,

OK – I am sending you both the Backup Buddy plugin and the WitFTP plugin via email.

I do not completely understand your answer.

Are you saying there is a way to give access to the WitFTP plugin for a Shop Manager user role?

Sincerely,
    Greg

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Greg,

BackupBuddy uses ‘activate_plugins’ capability to protect all its menu items. So when you revoke ‘activate_plugins’ from ‘Shop Manager’ role it will not see ‘BackupBuddy’ menu.

You may add ‘manage_options’ capability to ‘Shop Manager’ role. It will see ‘WitFTP’ menu then. But it will see ‘Settings’ and some other menu items protected by the same ‘manage_options’ capability. You may block them for ‘Shop Manager’ role using ‘Admin menu access’ module:

Block WordPress Admin Menu Items

briz_dad
    Participant

Hello Vladimir,

Perhaps I made a mistake by attempting to resolve two different plugin issues.

My immediate need is for the role of Shop Manager (a default WooCommerce user role) to be able to access and use the WitFTP plugin.

You instructions gave access to the WitFTP plugin within the plugin list on the “plugins” page.

However, actual access comes from the ADMIN menu in the left column – just as “User Role Editor” is actually utilized via the ADMIN menu in the left column.

How do I get the WitFTP plugin to appear in the ADMIN menu for a Shop Manager user role?

Sincerely,
    Greg

P.S. I will happily give you ADMIN access to the site if needed for trouble-shooting. Please keep in mind it is a live site. gw

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Greg,

Open ‘Shop Manager’ role at Users->User Role Editor.
    Revoke ‘activate_plugins’, add ‘manage_options’ capability. Click ‘Update’ to save your changes.
    Test your changes. You will see that user got access to the ‘WitFTP’ menu item. But he got access to the ‘Settings’ and possibly other menus also.
    That’s why I recommended you to activate ‘Admin menu access’ add-on and block with it menu items unneeded for the ‘Shop Manager’ role.

Let me know the result and if you need further help, including live site.

briz_dad
    Participant

Hello Vladimir,

Perfect – I must have misunderstood some earlier instructions.

Everything is working great now – thank you for your time and energy on this!

Sincerely,
    Greg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.