Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums How to or FAQ Some blocked widgets are still displaying

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    AntKat
    Spectator

Hi Vladimir,
    I am using your pro version. This is a multisite. I have created a custom role for very non-technical users. I want them to have access to just a couple very simple widgets. I configured the widget at network settings to block all but 4 widgets. Your plugin is working on blocking MANY except there are a few that are not being blocked:
    1. BuddyPress Groups
    2. Login
    3. Recent Posts
    4. Most Popular posts (beta)
    5. Pro Categories Widget
    6. Featured Category Widget

I don’t know if the following matters:
    As a super-admin, I have setup and configured #5 & #6 – but I do not want them to mess this up. The other 4 are not being used at all.

Also. I would like to hide a sidebar for this role; is this possible?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

If you blocked widgets at Network Admin this restrictions are applied for the main site. In order to restrict widgets for the 3rd site, you should open ‘User Role Editor’ at the 3rd site directly.

Do you test your settings for the restricted site?

AntKat
    Spectator

Hi Vladimir,
    Thank you. That was the issue. It is a little confusing because I would assume that network settings apply to all sites in network but if it only applies to the main site and at the main site settings you have an option to apply to all sites – Is it best to just use the main site for all “network” settings and apply to all sites or do I still have to set site by site?

It turns out that it doesn’t work well to block the widgets that I have added as super-admin because it messes up the order. We have 3 “standard” widgets pre-configured and want to provide our users the opportunity to add their own below them. I guess we can live with them seeing them and just hope they don’t mess them up.

Do you know a way to block sidebars?

Again, thank you for your plugin and thank you for your quick response.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi,

‘Apply to All sites’ option at the main site works for the currently selected role only. It’s not related to the additional modules (like ‘Widgets’) data.

Widgets, admin menu items available at different single sites may be different as single sites may have different set of activated plugins and themes. So I did not include network update feature for the additional modules from very begin. I see with time that some clients (including you) need such feature. I will add it module by module.

If you open ‘User Role Editor’ at the ‘Network Admin – Users’ you should see ‘Update Network’ button there. It opens dialog where you may add ‘Widgets’ restrictions data to the update process:
    Update Network - Widgets access module data

Code was written this way:
    Widgets added by single site admin (superadmin) should be shown 1st. Widgets added by users should be shown below.

Could you describe in details your scenario in order I may test it myself and develop a fix if needed? What widgets you added as superadmin, what widgets as a user? What role has your non-administrator user who adds widgets (screenshot)?

I don’t have on hands a solution to block sidebars. I will check what we can do with it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.