Change WordPress user roles and capabilities Forums Bug Reports "Activate Administrator Menu Access module" bug

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    albiurs
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

The option “Activate Administrator Menu Access module” in my User Role Editor Pro has a bug in my network installation. The bug was not present in former versions before 4.23.

This is, what happens if I activate the option in my network installation and restrict the admin menu to editors:
    – If the editor is in the media library and wants to switch between the list and the grid view, he gets automatically forwarded to the dashboard.
    – In Appearance > Menus, if two or more menus are created: If the editor wants to switch between the menus, he also gets automatically forwarded to the dashboard. As he is not able to switch the menus, it is not possible to edit the second menu.

This issues only happen, if the option “Activate Administrator Menu Access module” is activated in the network admin settings AND the editor’s admin menu is restricted using “Block menu items” > “Not Selected”. If I deactivate this option and the editor’s admin menu is not restricted or if I do it with “Block menu items” > “Selected”, it all works fine.

Would be great, if you could fix that bug.

Thanks,
    Urs

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Hi Urs,

I confirm the described bug. Thanks for reporting it.
    I will search a solution.

albiurs
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

Perfect! I look forward to the next update, fixing this issue.

Thanks for the great plugin!

Best wishes,
    Urs

albiurs
    Participant

Hi Vladimir,

I have similar issues again. This issues only happen, if the option “Activate Administrator Menu Access module” is activated in the network admin settings AND the editor’s admin menu is restricted using “Block menu items” > “Not Selected”. If I deactivate this option and the editor’s admin menu is not restricted or if I do it with “Block menu items” > “Selected”, it all works fine.
    -> Same as above in my first post.
    -> The media library seams not to be affected this time.

Now, the editor gets forwarded to the dashboard when using the wordpress button to create an new page or clicking on the trash.

Thanks,
    Urs

albiurs
    Participant

…Personally I prefer the option “not selected” over the option “selected”, as it provides a saver control over user rights. E.g. if I install a new plugin on a multisite, my editors will only get access, if I explicitly allow it and select the new item. With the option “selected” all editors of all sites would automatically get access to the new plugin.

Currently, my editors cannot meaningfully edit their content anymore. Any suggestion about the issue above?

Thanks!

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Is it some custom post type of WordPress standard pages?
    Show a screenshot with an example of what did you restrict for your editors.

albiurs
    Participant

Actually it’s a similar issue as in my very first post on the top of this topic at the 21/02/2016 which you solved afterwards.

I choose “Block menu items” > “Not Selected”:

-> If I’m deselecting edit_posts (edit.php)…
    -> …then got to pages -> click on trash -> I get forwarded to the dashboard.

-> On another site, I have the theme “Stockholm” installed which provides several modules.
    -> If I deselect the module Portfolio-Create (post-new.php?post_type=portfolio_page) or if I deselect the module Testimonials-Create (post-new.php?post_type=testimonials) or any other create module item (post-new.php?post_type=xyz)…
    -> …then go to pages -> click on new page -> I get forwarded to the dashboard.

albiurs
    Participant

…is there a way to upload a picture to this forum other then linking to an external source (which is quite cumbersome)? Although, I think my description in my last post does explain quite clearly, what I did, even without a screenshot.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

There is no way to upload a picture directly to this forum. Just insert a link to the external resource.

Thanks for the detailed description.
    I repeated the admin menu add-on issue with access to the pages views, like ‘Published’, ‘Draft’, ‘Pending’, ‘Trash’. I fixed it at dev version 4.26.b5. I will make it available as I resolve the 2nd issue with ‘Add New’ page.

albiurs
    Participant

Ok, thanks for your feedback. I look forward to the next update, fixing the issues.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I can not repeat the 2nd issue. I deselected for editor the ‘Add Term’ menu item from ‘Encyclopedia’ plugin (post-new.php?post_type=encyclopedia’ and added new page after that successfully.

Can you send me (support [at-sign] role-editor.com) “Stockholm” theme copy for testing?

Vladimir
    Keymaster

I got theme copy. Thanks.
    I still can not repeat the 2nd issue with ‘add page’. I recorded a short video to demonstrate my experience.
    Do you see any difference from your settings?

albiurs
    Participant

Ok, I see the difference. You clicked in the left menu directly on the link “Add New”. This works also for me. But I, on the other hand, I clicked on “All Pages” first to get the overview of all pages and just after that, I used the gray “Add New” button on the top left which switches to a blue hover color. This is the button which did not work in my case and forwarded me to the dashboard.

albiurs
    Participant

…and here’s my video

P.S.: I will not have much time in the next two weeks. But if possible in any way, I will try reply.

Vladimir
    Keymaster

Thanks for the video. I see that a link from ‘Add New’ (page) button has additional parameter ‘lang’: post-new.php?post_type=page&lang=de
    I have to block any link different from not selected at menu items list – some link to the same page just with different parameters may lead to another menu item. That’s why such problem appears from time to time.
    I will add exclusion for the ‘lang’ parameter used at post_new.php page.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.